You’re now able to retain your phone number when you switch cell phone providers. The FCC mandate went nationwide last week. Theoretically you can even move your landline number around – transfer it to your cell phone, for example.
It’s a decidedly mixed blessing. If you’re considering a switch, read this article about number portability. Here’s some of its points:
– You probably can’t use the same phone when switching carriers.
– Contracts still exist and are expensive to break.
– Additional fees may apply.
– Phones sold on auction sites aren’t always a great deal.
– New deals on service have more catches.